Wednesday, April 2, 2014

When Sugar Isn't So Sweet (and a smoothie bowl to make it better)

I have a confession.

My name's Vanessa and I'm a sugar addict.

It's been a long time coming, but I've finally decided to own up to my sugar-obsessing ways. Even though sugar can be a totally wonderful treat for those of you out there without food issues, it just leads to a path of overeating and obsession with me. And frankly I'm sick of it.

For the month of April, I've decided to cut out all added sugar from my diet with the exception of whole foods. I mean...who wants to live without fruit? Not this lady.

For this first month, I've decided to limit myself to very little dried fruit simply because it can be a trigger for me. Because dried fruit is so concentrated in sweetness, it often comes off as candy-like and can give me that same sugar rush that other sweets do. So for now, I'm keeping it simple.

When your mood and personality is altered negatively by what you're putting in your body, it's time to make a change. I'm kind of sick of counting on the wrong foods to pick me up...because I always come crashing down.

I'm sure I will be all kinds of angry, moody and crazy for the first week or two but I'm excited to see how I feel after that! Stick around and I'll let you in on my madness.

And to kick this experiment off right, I made myself a delicious green smoothie bowl this morning full of nutrients, veggies and the right amount of fruit. It was so delicious and clean, I thought I'd share it with you guys.

Clean & Green Smoothie Bowl:


Base:
1 cup spinach and collards mix
1/2 cup baby kale
1 tbsp MacroGreens
1 tbsp flaxseed meal
1/2 tbsp Maca Powder
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 frozen banana
2 ice cubes (and a little added water for consistency)

Blend all ingredients until smooth

Toppings:
1/4 cup raw granola with spirulina via Whole Foods
2 tbsp hemp seeds
1 tbsp sliced almonds
1 tbsp goji berries
1/4 cup blue berries

Decorate and enjoy!



Have you ever given up sugar for an extended period of time? Forever? I love hearing about the experiences others have gone through when giving up a habit or vice.


No comments:

Post a Comment

My photo
Food and nutrition. Wellness and balance. Creativity and style. Welfare and love. This is me and this is my blog. Welcome.