Monday, March 31, 2014

Building A Better Breakfast: Nuts & Bolts

Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. By far. Like...I live for breakfast. Have I said that before? I'm sure I have.  Because breakfast is the best, guys. The. Best.

I love variety and I love switching up my breakfast, but I also think it's important to get the most bang for your buck. The easiest way to do this is to pack as much delicious nutrition you can into this magical meal.

The nuts and bolts (er, seeds) of a hearty breakfast:


My favorite part of any breakfast is choosing the toppings.  You know, basically all of the good stuff you use to decorate your meal. Maybe this speaks to the visually obsessed person I am, but I love a ton of texture, flavor and color. In this particular breakfast I added sliced almonds, chia seeds, hemp seeds, shredded coconut, flax meal, cinnamon and vanilla bean. 

To the right: my base on this particular morning was cooked wild rice and unsweetened almond milk. Other options include oats (steelcut, rolled, Scottish), quinoa, brown rice, or buckwheat groats. Endless possibilities, folks.

I stick to natural sweeteners such as a pitted date, bananas, and/or berries. Yum!



The end result is a delicious stick-to-your-ribs meal that will keep you fueled and satisfied for a pretty good chunk of your morning and afternoon.

What are your favorite breakfast add-ins? Do you like a bunch of complex flavors or do you prefer to keep it simple?

No comments:

Post a Comment

My photo
Food and nutrition. Wellness and balance. Creativity and style. Welfare and love. This is me and this is my blog. Welcome.