Friday, April 4, 2014

Breakfast Love: Chunky Monkey Overnight Oats

Let's keep this breakfast love fest going, shall we?



Overnight oats became a staple in my breakfast rotation several years ago.  I ate them about 3 times a week. But like most repetitive habits in life, things got a little dull. All of a sudden the cold oats weren't doing the job and the mushy texture just didn't sit well with me anymore.

These things happen but when it comes to your favorite foods, don't be afraid to mix it up a little. Life is about variety, people.

So a few months ago I decided to switch it up by using steel-cut oats and life has been so much better. It's like we've rekindled that oat-y, wholesome flame.  But I digress.



Steelcut oats are full of texture and give you a chewy bite similar to a granola/oatmeal hybrid, which is a perfect combo in my book.

Because I'm battling a sweet tooth addiction, I decided to make something decadent but healthy for today's breakfast.

Introducing Chunky Monkey Overnight Oats.




Oh man these were so good.  Not gonna lie, I was kind of depressed when I finished this jar.  I mean...my day could only go down from here, am I right?

Kidding. Kind of.

Chunky Monkey (esque..) Overnight Oats

1/4 cup steel cut oats
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 tbsp flaxseed meal
1 tbsp raw cacao powder
1 tbsp cacao nibs
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla bean
pinch of salt
1/2 cup water

Combine above ingredients in a bowl or a mason jar. Once they're mixed together, pour boiling water over the ingredients. Stir until combined. Allow to cool to room temperature. Once they have cooled, cover and place in the fridge overnight.

In the morning, top with:

1-2 tbsp nut butter (peanut butter, almond butter, sunbutter, they're all wonderful)
1 tbsp shredded coconut 
1 pitted medjool date, chopped
2 tbsp sliced almonds (walnuts would work great here but I was all out)
1 ripe banana

*For an extra special treat, heat up 1/4 to 1/3 cup of coconut milk and pour over your beautiful creation. It will heat up your oats and also melt everything together wonderfully, making it extra decadent. 


If you give this recipe a try, let me know what you think!



No comments:

Post a Comment

My photo
Food and nutrition. Wellness and balance. Creativity and style. Welfare and love. This is me and this is my blog. Welcome.