Saturday, March 29, 2014

Timing Is Everything



Part I.

....or something like a part I.

I recently went back to my strict vegan ways and I couldn't be happier about it. I have been a full-on vegetarian since the age of 11, but I've always been pretty wishy-washy when it comes to going full vegan. Cravings, society, convenience - all of these issues played a big role in the past. I tried and failed several dozen times.

I cut out most dairy at the beginning of this year (except for a pizza night here and there) but continued to consume eggs. When I started to really clean up my diet, eggs seemed like a great and easy source of protein. And then I just kind of got sick of it and decided to cut everything animal-related out of my diet on March 1st.

Like most Americans, I like starting new things at the beginning of something: a month, a week, and birthday etc...it just feels right. It's the epitome of a fresh start, and who doesn't love that? A clean slate is a wonderful thing.

So without having any kind of long-term goals pertaining to this mini journey, I just went for it. And guess what? It's been the easiest decision I've made in a long time.

Not only do I feel better overall (even when indulging in vegan desserts galore on a bad day), I have no desire to eat dairy or eggs at all. Like...ever. This is a first for me and I'm embracing it whole-heartedly.

I know veganism isn't for everyone, but this seems like the right path for me. I have been on this journey for a very long time. I'm not 100% sure what has made this decision stick this time, but I think it's a combination of things: I'm in a really good place with my health and fitness. I have made a conscious effort to really think about what I'm putting in my body so it only makes sense that my true ethics would shine through and overpower any poor decisions I've succumbed to in the past.

And then there's the fact that I've stopped denying my feelings and fears in general. No more hiding from the truth and this includes the truth about our food industry. I won't go on about that but if you're not aware, here's a list of some great documentaries that will open your eyes.

Generally speaking, it's the right time for me. I'm in it for the long-haul. This realization is so powerful and it gives me so much peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment

My photo
Food and nutrition. Wellness and balance. Creativity and style. Welfare and love. This is me and this is my blog. Welcome.