Friday, April 25, 2014

Leftover Makeover: Tofu Scramble Edition

If you're anything like me, you get super bored with the same meals day in and day out.

On the other hand, buying and cooking in bulk often means a smaller grocery bill and effortless meals for the entire week. So yeah I guess it's worth it, right? But then again, the boredom….

In an effort to spice things up when you just can't take another bite of that bottomless crockpot chilli you made on Sunday night, I thought I'd share some ways in which I switch up a basic bulk recipe to keep things interesting throughout the week.

First up: Tofu Scramble!

If you're a vegan or vegetarian, chances are you have your favorite tofu scramble recipe memorized. If not, here are a few of my favorites to get you started:


Post Punk Kitchen (Isa does no wrong)
Vegetarian Times and their Southwest spin on it
Food.com keeping it basic


So now that you've made 650 servings of your favorite scramble and have successfully eaten it the same way for several mornings in a row without complaining too much, let's spice things up.





Leftover Makeover: Tofu Scramble Casserole

1 cup prepared tofu scramble
1/4 cup cooked quinoa
1/3 cup cooked or canned chickpeas
1 cup kale, finely chopped
1/3 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup chopped zucchini
2 tablespoons vegan cheese (I used Daiya's mozzarella version)
a pinch of red pepper flakes
Optional: 2 tablespoons panko bread crumbs


Preheat oven to 350

In a large bowl, mix everything together except for the panko crumbs. Once they are combined, press firmly into a 16 oz ramekin dish (or several muffin tins if you don't own single baking dishes). Sprinkle bread crumbs on top.

Bake for 15-20 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.





I love this recipe. The baking method leaves you with a cheesy, gooey casserole for one full of flavor and goodness. The cherry tomatoes get rich and juicy and the kale will crisp up, giving this dish a nice bite. Remember those scrambled eggs with melted cheese on top mom used to make? Yeah, kind of like that. But way better.




Do you have any suggestions for another bulk recipe I can makeover? I love a good challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My photo
Food and nutrition. Wellness and balance. Creativity and style. Welfare and love. This is me and this is my blog. Welcome.