Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Throwback Chickpea "Tuna" Salad



"Kids should be seen and not heard."

We are all familiar with that old saying, right? Well, this recipe is kind of like that except for it should be eaten and not seen. Hey, not all of us can be beauty queens.

Nope, this recipe certainly isn't very photogenic but I promise you it's very tasty.

I adapted this recipe from a very foggy memory of my mother's classic tuna salad sandwich she made me for many weekend lunches when I was a little one. I'm not sure if I nailed it but I am pretty proud of the flavor combination. It's got something for everyone: sweet, tart and savory.

I kept the dressing pretty simple, making sure to give it a nice balance of creamy and sweet and then mixed in some delicious chickpeas, sweet apple and carrots and a little bit of pickle for a special surprise. If the pickles scare you, I totally understand - omit that stuff or add them on later while assembling your sandwich or wrap.

And now on to the recipe!



Dressing:
1/3 cup vegan mayo
1 tablespoon white miso
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tsp agave or maple syrup
1/8 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder with parsley (or 1/8 teaspoon each)
Pepper to taste


"Tuna" Mix
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 small apple (a little over 1/2 cup), diced
1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
2 1/2 tablespoons walnuts, finely chopped
Optional: 1/4 cup sweet or dill pickles, finely chopped

For the dressing: In a small bowl, mix all ingredients together until combined.

In a large bowl, add rinsed chickpeas and dressing. Mix together with a fork, smashing about half of the  chickpeas until mixture is a chunky consistency. Add apple, walnuts, carrot and pickles and mix until everything is coated with the dressing. Spread on whole grain bread or a tortilla wrap and top with greens.

Bonus tip: Let salad chill in the fridge for at least an hour before eating - this gives the flavors time to marinate together and the result is extra delicious.



Since becoming vegan or vegetarian, are there any recipes you have recreated from childhood? Did you nail it or was it a big ol' disaster? I've had my fair share of both.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My photo
Food and nutrition. Wellness and balance. Creativity and style. Welfare and love. This is me and this is my blog. Welcome.